The Dartmoor Pony Action Group
The Dartmoor Pony Action Group – Profile & Purpose
Members are committed to supporting and preserving healthy ponies, in sustainable numbers, that will continue to graze on Dartmoor to help maintain its cultural heritage, biodiversity and landscape qualities, and for the enjoyment of the general public and tourism.
The group comprises the three statutory bodies: Dartmoor National Park Authority (DNPA), Natural England (NE), Dartmoor Commoners Council (DaCC), alongside the Dartmoor Pony Society (DPS), Dartmoor Hill Pony Association (DHPA), Dartmoor Pony Heritage Trust (DPHT), Dartmoor Pony Moorland Scheme (DPMS - Co Funded by the Duchy Of Cornwall and Dartmoor Pony Society), Dartmoor Livestock Protection Society (DLPS) and two independent pony keepers.
Research is being undertaken by independent specialists, largely funded and coordinated by members of PAG, over the next three years. This will undoubtedly contribute to the better understanding of mixed animal grazing on Dartmoor. It will be fundamental to the future management and preservation of the ponies on Dartmoor and the development of a cohesive strategy for the Group.
The Pony Action Group’s main objectives are:
- To monitor the numbers of all ponies grazing on Dartmoor
- To promote the qualities of the ponies as conservation graziers and general purpose domesticated ponies; to seek new markets that will be sustainable; and ensure sensible prices to uphold their value
- To provide clear information for visitors about the different types of pony grazing on Dartmoor, the contribution that they make to the management of the landscape, why they are important to Dartmoor both historically and for the future as part of a mixed grazing regime
- To coordinate efforts to ensure a high standard of health and quality in every pony running on Dartmoor Where to find out more
- Dartmoor Commoners’ Council www.dartmoorcommonerscouncil.org.uk
- Dartmoor Pony Society www.dartmoorponysociety.com
- The Dartmoor Hill Pony Association www.dartmoorhillpony.com
- The Dartmoor Pony Heritage Trust www.dpht.co.uk
- Duchy of Cornwall www.duchyofcornwall.org
- Natural England www.gov.uk/government/organisations/natural-england
- Dartmoor Livestock Protection Society www.dlps.org.uk
- Dartmoor National Park Authority www.dartmoor.gov.uk If you see an injured pony, please contact:
- Dartmoor Livestock Protection Officer Tel: 07873 587561. If you are involved in a vehicular accident with a pony YOU MUST telephone the police. If you witness such an accident please also telephone the police.