Skip To Content


Affordable Housing Guidance (SPD)

The Dartmoor National Park Affordable Housing guidance gives advice for applicants, agents and architects who are submitting planning applications for housing.  It is known as a ‘Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)’, and should be read alongside the Local Plan policies.

Providing the right type of housing in the right place is very important for Dartmoor communities, and we will expect you to have considered this advice when putting together your planning application.

Affordable Housing SPD

Appendix 2

Self-build Register

'Self-build' is used when someone obtains a building plot and then builds their own home on that plot.  Most people employ an architect to design the house, some will then employ a builder to construct it, others may choose to build all or part of the house themselves.A house under construction

If you would like to discuss your project, have a piece of land in mind, or are a local landowner with a piece of land you believe may be suitable for self-build, please use our Planning Advice service.  We have also identified local architects and agents with expertise in self-build and have compiled a list:  Self-Build Architects Register (PDF Help).

We hold a self-build register for Dartmoor National Park. To be eligible to be included on the register you must be:

  • aged 18 or older;
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land on which to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence

You may Register Your Interest in Self Build online or download a form and return it to Sue Southwell, Rural Housing Enabler (details below). If you have questions regarding your registration, please talk to:

Sue Southwell - Rural Housing Enabler (Devon Communities Together)
Tel. 01392 248919 (extension 121)
Or email

Other housing advice

We are the planning authority for the National Park area, but not the Housing Authority.  For other information such as joining the housing register, benefits and landlord advice, please contact your District/Borough Council ( Teignbridge District Council,  West Devon Borough Council,  South Hams District Council, or  Mid Devon District Council)

We are also a member of the Devon Rural Housing Partnership and share its aim to provide good quality, sustainable homes for local people to live in.  The Devon Rural Housing Partnership (DRHP) consists of 5 Local Authorities, Dartmoor National Park Authority and 8 Housing Associations all involved in providing affordable housing in rural communities across Devon. The aim of the partnership is to support rural communities in developing sufficient affordable housing to meet the needs and aspirations of local people and to support the sustainability of those communities.

Find out more about the DRHP and how we can help you.

Page last updated: 07 Apr 2017
© Dartmoor National Park Authority | National Parks Portal | Terms and Conditions |