Chuley Road Masterplan, Ashburton
This site at Ashburton is identified in the Local Plan (Proposal ASH2, below), as a 3.5 hectare site for mixed use redevelopment including housing, commercial and employment uses and a public car park. DNPA appointed Building Design Partnership (BDP) to carry out a masterplanning exercise working closely with the community, the National Park Authority, Teignbridge District Council and Ashburton Town Council.
The evidence commissioned as part of this project, and the draft Masterplan prepared is available below.
18 months into the project DNPA was approached to make significant changes to the Masterplan in order to bring the railway branchline, lost beneath the A38 dual carriageway, back to the station at Chuley Road. DNPA allowed time for this to be considered, however, at the time, the evidence to support this alternative proposal was weak, and the decision was made to proceed with the Masterplan in its original form.
Following the approval of the Masterplan the threat of a legal challenge on a technicality forced DNPA to withdraw the approved Masterplan and review again its position. Since this time DNPA has carefully considered how best to move forward. A planning application on the site has revealed flood work requirements beyond that originally anticipated; furthermore DNPA recognises a more evidence led case for considering the railway option is now emerging.
DNPA Members considered a Report to the Meeting of the National Park Authority in April 2016, and the decision has been made that we should cease work on the Masterplan. It is not considered reasonable to further hold back planning applications on the site. Any applications which come in should be judged against the allocation in the local plan, which sets guideline for development of the site.
Evidence prepared to support the Masterplan (below) may still be relevant, however the draft Masterplan will not form part of that decision making process. Applicants will be encouraged to discuss proposals with the community in advance of submitting any application, and the community will have the opportunity to comment through the formal consultation period.
Whilst evidence which supports the feasibility of railway reinstatement may come forward in this time, this does not mean a railway would necessarily form part of any future strategy for the site. It would however enable the community to consider this subject on the basis of whether it supports safeguarding a rail route or reinstating a line, rather than debating whether it is technically achievable.
Background reports and information
- Chuley Road Masterplan Second Draft
- Chuley Road Masterplan Appendices Second Draft
- Chuley Road Masterplan Second Draft - summary of key comments and changes
- Chuley Road Masterplan Second Draft - Authority Report
- Chuley Road - FoAS Railway Proposal (2 mb)
- Chuley Road - FoAS Railway Proposal - Appendix 1 (2 mb)
- Chuley Road - FoAS Railway Proposal - Appendix 2 (1 mb)
- Railway Options Appraisal (DNPA) (June 2015) (1.6 mb)
- Summary of consultation response to the revised draft 2
- Chuley Road Masterplan Revised Draft 2
- Chuley Road Masterplan Consultation Response Form/Flyer (700kb)
- Chuley Road Masterplan Revised Draft 2 Appendices (1.9mb)
- Chuley Road - Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (Parsons Brinckerhoff) (March 2014) (2.45 mb)
- Chuley Road - Flood Alleviation Options Report (Parsons Brinckerhoff) (December 2013) (1.5 mb)
- Chuley Road Masterplan Parking Strategy and Movement Assessment (January 2014)(4.6 mb)
- Report on the Draft 1 Consultation (April 2014) (1.5 mb)
- Chuley Road Masterplan - First Draft (January 2014) (6.4 Mb)
- Chuley Road Options Report (BDP) (July 2013) (4 mb)
- Chuley Road Baseline Report (BDP) (July 2013) (4 mb)
- Chuley Road Tree Scoping Survey (Aspect) (August 2013) (375 kb)
- Project Inception Report (May 2013) (500kb)
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 6) March 2015
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 5) July 2014
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 4) January 2014
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 3) September 2013
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 2) July 2013
- The Masterplan Community Newsletter (Issue 1) May 2013