Who we are
Dartmoor National Park Authority was created by the Environment Act 1995 to:
- conserve and enhance Dartmoor National Park’s natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage
- promote opportunities for the public to understand and enjoy the special qualities of Dartmoor National Park.
We also have a duty to:
- promote the economic and social wellbeing of local communities in Dartmoor National Park.
We have approximately 90 staff working in five sites across Dartmoor. Our head office is at Parke, where our leadership team is based.
We are governed by 19 members who are appointed by local authorities and central government.
We aim to:
- help to conserve and enhance the biodiversity, cultural heritage and landscape of Dartmoor
- provide opportunities for people to enjoy the countryside and contribute to their health and wellbeing
- support our local communities and the rural economy
- be an efficient and effective organisation which works with partners to deliver the best outcome for Dartmoor.
The actions we will take to achieve these aims are explained in our Business Plan 2016-2017.