How we work
We aim to conserve and enhance Dartmoor as a vibrant, living, working landscape and community.
We work in partnership with local and national stakeholders and support Dartmoor’s businesses and communities.
- produce the Dartmoor National Park Management Plan – this five year strategic plan from 2014-2019 guides all our work for the future of Dartmoor
- are the planning authority for Dartmoor dealing with all proposals which need planning permission or consent
- promote sustainable development, and work with authorities and agencies concerned with the social and economic wellbeing of national park communities
- protect, maintain and enhance natural habitats and areas of ecological significance, and advise on their protection and management
- look after public access to the Park and maintain the footpath and bridleway network
- provide the national park Ranger service
- provide information about the park online, through leaflets and factsheets and in our information centres
- run a guided walks and events programme to help everyone learn about and enjoy Dartmoor
- protect, maintain and enhance sites of archaeological significance and advise on their protection and management
- have an education service which provides information and guided walks to help young people understand and enjoy Dartmoor.
We aim to:
- help to conserve and enhance the biodiversity, cultural heritage and landscape of Dartmoor
- provide opportunities for people to enjoy the countryside and contribute to their health and wellbeing
- support our local communities and the rural economy
- be an efficient and effective organisation which works with partners to deliver the best outcome for Dartmoor.
The actions we will take to achieve these aims are explained in our Business Plan.