Miles Without Stiles Longtimber Woods
Route type: For Most. A linear, sheltered river valley route with a gentle gradient and wide gravel surface.
Disabled Ramblers Category Level: 1
Distance: 1km to the picnic area (2km there and back)
Start point: Top of Station Road, just below the railway viaduct in Ivybridge SX635569
Getting there: Northern edge of Ivybridge town, 9 miles east of Plymouth, off the A38.
Facilities: Public toilets in Watermark Centre, Ivybridge (PL21 0SZ, SX635563)Download route
This pleasant woodland route follows the River Erme upstream from just below the railway viaduct, passing a series of small waterfalls and pools. After 1km there is an information board and handy picnic area overlooking the river.
- Leave roadside parking at the top of Station Road and enter Longtimber Woods on a gravel path below the railway viaduct. You will find a useful interpretation board immediately on the left.
- Follow the gravel path for 1km, all the way to the picnic area.
- Return via the same route.
Did you know?
- The River Erme begins its life at Erme Head (in the heart of the southern moor) and flows in a generally southerly direction past some of the best-preserved archaeological remains on Dartmoor to the coast near Holbeton; a journey of some 24km!
- Keep an eye out for dippers and grey wagtails along the river, and buzzards and ravens further up the valley.
- There are some splendid redwood trees on the opposite side of the river in Erme Wood.