We are the planning authority for the National Park area, but not the Housing Authority.  For other information such as joining the housing register, benefits and landlord advice, please contact your District/Borough Council (Teignbridge District Council, West Devon Borough Council, South Hams District Council, or Mid Devon District Council).

Self-build Register

'Self-build' is a term used when someone obtains a building plot and then builds their own home on that plot. Most people employ an architect to design the house, some will then employ a builder to construct it, others may choose to build all or part of the house themselves.

If you would like to discuss your project, have a piece of land in mind, or are a local landowner with a piece of land you believe may be suitable for self-build, please use our Planning Advice service.  We have also identified local architects and agents with expertise in self-build and have compiled a list: Self-Build Architects Register.

We hold a self-build register for Dartmoor National Park you may Register Your Interest in Self Build online. If you have any questions regarding this please contact: forwardplanning@dartmoor.gov.uk.

Housing SPD

We recently adopted a Housing SPD to support the delivery of housing in the National Park. The Housing SPD replaces our 2014 Affordable Housing SPD. Find out more and have your say here:

>  Housing SPD