Freedom of Information and Data Protection

Freedom of Information and Data Protection

Much of our data is already published, check the Open Data section to see if the information you want is available. We will do our best to provide you with any information you ask for, provided there is no restriction on disclosing it.

The Authority's Publication Scheme gives full details of the information already published and available for public view.

If you want information which is not available already, complete and return a Request for Information Form to

When we receive your request:

  • we may contact you to clarify some details
  • if we already publish the information, we will tell you how to find it
  • if we hold the information, we will copy it and provide it in your preferred format
  • if it’s a large search and copy request we may charge a fee to cover costs; we will tell you how much it is so you can choose whether you want to continue
  • if we can’t provide all or part of the information you’ve requested, we will explain why.

If you are unhappy with a refusal to disclose information, we can review your request. If you are still unhappy you can contact the Information Commissioner.

The Legislation

There are three specific and separate legal rights for you to make a formal request for information.

Data Protection and Privacy

We take the protection of your personal information seriously.

The Dartmoor National Park Authority is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner's Office under the Data Protection Act 2018 (registration number Z4918165).

Being transparent and providing accessible information to individuals about how we use personal information is a key element of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679). This information is provided in our Corporate Privacy Notice.  For more detailed information relating to specific service areas, including Information Asset Registers detailing what personal data we hold, and Service Specific Privacy Notices, please refer to the list below.

Service area Service area privacy notice Service area information asset register
Access and Recreation Access and Recreation Privacy NoticeAccess and Recreation Information Asset Register
Archaeology and Ecology Ecology and Archaeology Privacy Notice Ecology and ArchaeologyInformation Asset Register
Communications and Fundraising Communications and Fundraising Privacy NoticeCommunications and Fundraising Information Asset Register
Conservation Works Conservation Works Privacy NoticeConservation Works Information Asset Register
Education Education Privacy NoticeEducation Information Asset Register
Farming in Protected LandscapesFarming in Protected  Landscapes Privacy NoticeFarming in Protected Landscapes Information Asset Register
Forward Planning Forward Planning Privacy NoticeForward Planning Information Asset Register
Hill Farm Project Hill Farm Project Privacy NoticeHill Farm Project Information Asset Register
Human Resources Human Resources Privacy NoticeHuman Resources Information Asset Register
Planning Planning Privacy NoticePlanning Information Asset Register
Rangers Rangers Privacy Notice Rangers Information Asset Register
Resources Resources Privacy Notice Resources Information Asset Register
Visitor Centres Visitor Centres Privacy Notice Visitor Centres Information Asset Register

(Please note: we are currently in the process of uploading the documents in the table above.  If the one you are looking for is not available yet, please contact

Subject Access Requests

You have the right of access to any personal data that the Authority holds about you.  To request a copy of this information you must make a subject access request in writing, either via a letter to Dartmoor National Park Authority, Parke, Bovey Tracey, Devon, TQ13 9JQ, via the Authority website or via email to:

To ensure that we can deal with your request as efficiently as possible you will need to include your current name and address, proof of identity (a copy of your photocard driving licence, passport or other form of identity), as much detail as possible regarding your request so that we can identify any information we may hold about you, this may include your previous name and address, date of birth and what Authority service you were involved with.  It would be helpful and may speed up your request if you provide the information using our Subject Access Request Form.


If you wish to make a complaint about how the Authority is processing your personal data, or you feel that you're being denied access to personal information you're entitled to, or that your information has not been handled correctly, please contact :

Data Protection Officer, Dartmoor National Park Authority, Parke, Bovey Tracey, Devon, TQ13 9JQ.

in the first instance.  If you are not satisfied with the response you can refer the matter to the Information Commissioner. Complaints are usually dealt with informally by the ICO, but if this isn't possible they can take enforcement action.