National Park Visitor Centre, Princetown
Princetown is our flagship Visitor Centre, once home to Conan Doyle as he wrote the Hound of the Baskervilles; it now hosts a variety of exhibitions and displays. Including:
- Discovering Dartmoor’s wild stories, an interactive journey exploring Dartmoor’s wildlife
- The conservation garden; a microcosm of Dartmoor’s flora and home to several antiquities
- A rolling exhibition programme in the Small Gallery Area (please note our Ballroom is undergoing essential conservation work until July 2022)
As well as other exhibitions, displays and a children’s discovery zone, it is also a great activity hub to start a walk or cycle ride from. Princetown provides an excellent gateway to both the south and north moors for hill walkers and our Centre staff will be pleased to help you plan a suitable route.
We also stock an extensive range of useful items for the outdoor enthusiast such as maps, publications about Dartmoor and guide books, in addition to fantastic souvenirs from our Dartmoor Range.
Princetown has several pubs and restaurants, good car parking facilities and public toilets with access for the disabled.
The weather can be very changeable on the high moors and walkers should be adequately equipped for anything more than a short stroll.
Find out more about The history of the Duchy Hotel
Tavistock Road, Princetown, Yelverton, Devon, PL20 6QF
Tel: 01822 890414 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are keeping staff and visitors safe by:
- Wearing masks
- Asking visitors to wear masks unless exempt
- Offering Test and Trace
- Providing hand sanitiser
- Keeping our distance when possible
- Limiting numbers when necessary
You can keep yourself, our staff and other visitors safe by:
- Wearing a face mask
- Sanitising your hands
- Keeping a pony apart
- Using Test and Trace
- Not entering the centres if you have COVID-19 or COVID-19 symptoms
1 November 2021 – 27 February 2022
Princetown – open Wednesday to Sunday 10am - 3pm
Postbridge – open Saturday to Wednesday 10am - 3pm
Haytor – open Thursday to Sunday 10am - 3pm
- We are open daily 10am - 3pm during Devon school holidays except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Staff may need to close the Centre briefly for lunch - re-opening times will be made clear on the door sign.
- We are closed for maintenance 28 February – 4 March