National Park Visitor Centre, Princetown
Princetown is our flagship Visitor Centre, once home to Conan Doyle as he wrote the Hound of the Baskervilles; it now hosts a variety of exhibitions and displays. Including:
- Plymouth Museums, ‘Finding History’. Exhibiting some of the pre-historic artefacts found on Dartmoor
- Discovering Dartmoor’s wild stories, an interactive journey exploring Dartmoor’s wildlife
- The conservation garden; a microcosm of Dartmoor’s flora and home to several antiquities
- In the spectacular former ballroom we have a rolling exhibition programme
Unfortunately due to Covid 19 restrictions the exhibition area and interpretation are not currently open at this time.
As well as other exhibitions, displays and a children’s discovery zone, it is also a great activity hub to start a walk or cycle ride from. Princetown provides an excellent gateway to both the south and north moors for hill walkers and our Centre staff will be pleased to help you plan a suitable route.
Admission to the Centre is free
We also stock an extensive range of useful items for the outdoor enthusiast such as maps, publications about Dartmoor and guide books, in addition to fantastic souvenirs from our Dartmoor Range.
Princetown has several pubs and restaurants, good car parking facilities and public toilets with access for the disabled.
The weather can be very changeable on the high moors and walkers should be adequately equipped for anything more than a short stroll.
Find out more about The history of the Duchy Hotel
Tavistock Road, Princetown, Yelverton, Devon, PL20 6QF
Tel: 01822 890414, Email: email@example.com
Opening Hours - Dartmoor National Park Visitor Centres
Due to recent Government guidance all Visitor Centres are closed from 05 November 2020.
We will re-open from Wednesday 02 December (see below)
Princetown – open Wednesday to Sunday from 10am-3pm (Closed Monday and Tuesday)
Postbridge – open Saturday to Wednesday from 10am-3pm (Closed Thursday and Friday)
Haytor – open Thursday to Sunday from 10am-3pm (Closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
Please note we are currently offering information and retail only - the exhibition area and interpretation at Princetown are not open at this time.
- Open daily during Devon school holidays except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Staff may need to close the Centre briefly for lunch - re-opening times will be made clear on the door sign.