National Park Visitor Centre, Princetown
Princetown is our flagship Visitor Centre, once home to Conan Doyle as he wrote the Hound of the Baskervilles; it now hosts a variety of exhibitions and displays. Including:
- Plymouth Museums, ‘Finding History’. Exhibiting some of the pre-historic artefacts found on Dartmoor
- Discovering Dartmoor’s wild stories, an interactive journey exploring Dartmoor’s wildlife
- The conservation garden; a microcosm of Dartmoor’s flora and home to several antiquities
- In the spectacular former ballroom we have a rolling exhibition programme
As well as other exhibitions, displays and a children’s discovery zone, it is also a great activity hub to start a walk or cycle ride from. Princetown provides an excellent gateway to both the south and north moors for hill walkers and our Centre staff will be pleased to help you plan a suitable route.
Admission to the Centre and exhibition area is free
We also stock an extensive range of useful items for the outdoor enthusiast such as maps, publications about Dartmoor and guide books, in addition to fantastic souvenirs from our Dartmoor Range.
Princetown has several pubs and restaurants, good car parking facilities and public toilets with access for the disabled.
The weather can be very changeable on the high moors and walkers should be adequately equipped for anything more than a short stroll.
Find out more about The history of the Duchy Hotel
Further information about the Princetown area can be found here.
Tavistock Road, Princetown, Yelverton, Devon, PL20 6QF
Tel: 01822 890414, Email: email@example.com
Opening Hours - Dartmoor National Park Visitor Centres
Winter (28 October - 01 March 2020)
Princetown - Tuesday- Sunday 10am - 3.00pm (see notes below)
Haytor - Thursday - Sunday 10am - 3.00pm (see notes below)
Summer (07 March - 1 November)
Princetown and Haytor centres - Open Daily 10am - 5pm (see notes below)
Postbridge trailer – Open Daily 10am - 5pm from 23 – 31 May and 27 July – 01 September (weather dependant)
- Open daily during Devon school holidays except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- All centres will be closed for maintenance 2-6 March 2020.
- Postbridge will be closed for building works from 23 September 2019 until end June 2020.