Winter on Dartmoor is a beautiful time, particularly in the snow. However, the weather can be changeable and it is important to know how to keep safe while out enjoying the moors. Please also consider that icy roads and snow can cause great difficulty for emergency services, highway authorities, local residents and farmers.
If you are coming to Dartmoor during periods of snowfall, please follow these simple steps:
- Heed advice and warnings, regularly monitor local media updates and weather reports.
- Do not obstruct gateways - farmers need access to fields to check on the welfare of animals. Animal’s lives could be put at risk by inappropriate parking.
- Stay on the open moorland areas - do not enter farmers’ fields for sledging or damage property.
- Keep dogs under control at all times.
- Take ALL LITTER (including sledging materials) home with you.
- Take adequate warm clothing, shovel, blankets, food, and a hot drink.
- Many vehicles are damaged during periods of snow and icy conditions – drive and park sensibly.
- Use official car parks and lay-bys for parking.
- Do not leave unattended vehicles on roadsides, verges or turning areas. They can obstruct emergency services access.
- Should snowfall be heavy and road closures are in place - do not drive beyond “ROAD CLOSED” signs.