Backpack Camping Code
Following the Backpack Camping Code will help to protect Dartmoor’s fragile moorland environment. Check the Camping Map to find out where you can pitch your small tent.
- Use a lightweight tent and equipment that fits into a backpack you can carry
- Staying one or two nights max as part of your longer walk or expedition
Stay out of sight
- Small and lightweight tents which easily blend into the landscape
- Out of sight from roads and buildings
- There must be no more than six people in a group
- No open fires or BBQs
- Take all litter home
- Bury poo and used toilet paper under at least 15cm of turf (you will need to take a trowel with you)
- Don't pollute streams or rivers
- Avoid disturbing wildlife, particularly during lambing and bird breeding season (1 March - 31 July)
Remember Dartmoor is a beautiful and special place
If you worry about carrying your rubbish out, need a bin or a toilet ,or need more equipment and facilities to enjoy back pack camping, then this isn’t for you – please use a campsite instead!
Find out how you can love moor life by following the Ranger Code